Sweeps that irritate and bore

Discuss anything you feel like talking about related to the software, sweeping, etc.

Sweeps that irritate and bore

Postby alligatorgar » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:25 pm

I think the HGTV and DIY are the worst. They run a long time and just take too much time to enter. Runner up for me are the silly instant win sweepstakes that have some kind of 'game of chance' thing that is totally rigged.
alligatorgar

Re: Sweeps that irritate and bore

Postby SweepstakesNinja » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:10 pm

Hmm, interesting, thanks.

I put them in there because the potential prize value was pretty good (some 'houses' are being given away), so figured for the chance to win a house, might be worth it.
But thanks for the feedback.

Johnathan
SweepstakesNinja

Postby alligatorgar » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:40 pm

I enter them all because the prizes are so good but they just bore me to tears. Same thing for sweeps that make you enter the same long screen of info for months on end.

If I was a hacker those sweeps that have you play a 'game' would be so easy. They have to download the win/lose values as part of the data and one could just make sure the data sent back had a winner even if the they did not give you one as part of the 'chance'.
alligatorgar

Postby alligatorgar » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:42 pm

PS. I wrote code for mainframes for over 40 years at the machine language level.
alligatorgar

Postby SweepstakesNinja » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Hmm... I'll see if I can figure out a way for the software to remember those long forms then... (yes, I can appreciate the boredom :))

And cool... I've written for mainframes as well using good 'ol JCL... Were you using that, or fortran/cobol, or something along those lines?

Johnathan
SweepstakesNinja

Postby alligatorgar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:37 am

I got my start way back in 1974 writing Assembler for Blue Cross/Blue Shield. In those days the computer was about as powerful as today's wrist watch. My favorite machine instruction was 'backspace card punch'. :D
alligatorgar

Postby alligatorgar » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:16 pm

Do you code in modules or sub-routines. By this I mean, say those great prize but annoying sweeps like the HGTV ones?

I would do a check and if it returned HGTV I would branch to a routine that does those sweeps in particular. Same for other almost constant sweeps that are a bit complicated.
alligatorgar

Postby SweepstakesNinja » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:38 pm

A lot of the coding is quite complex, since almost every single sweepstakes is unique... 'generalizing' it (in order to have an applicable solution) that works for the majority of sweepstakes has been a bit of challenge... but seems to be getting there! And I do both (modules & subroutines). Depends on what is necessary...
SweepstakesNinja

Return to Main Discussion Area